God gives us each a song
—Native American Ute proverb
Our Five Primary Goals in Life
According to Ayurveda, human beings have Five Primary Goals in life.
1. Dharma: fulfilling our life purpose, expressing our true identity
2. Artha: meeting our basic needs for survival
3. Kama: fulfilling our need for pleasure
4. Moksha: fulfilling our desire for freedom and ultimately spiritual liberation
5. Prema: fulfilling our desire for pure, unconditional love (the love of God)
Five Primary Goals, Health & Happiness
All of us share these five fundamental goals. Holding an awareness of these goals can help us better understand and accept ourselves while we pursue them. In order for us to be healthy, content, happy, and successful, each of them must be reasonably fulfilled.
Authentic forms of healing inclusively honor these five goals of life within the context of their medicinal practices. Doing so supports the root of physical, mental/emotional, and spiritual wellness.
Jonathan Glass, M.Ac. Ayurvedic Practitioner